I have written 20 articles about what I have learned about DSC so far. At this point I am familiar enough with the technology that I have started to think about how I am going to demo this technology in my organization. I could demo the basic features that are available without going into anything in depth, but I want this demo to be a complete and total WOW reaction. I have spent some time this week figuring out how I want to proceed with the demo and this is what I have decided.
We use System Center Virtual Machine Manager to deploy VM’s. I want to demonstrate using VMM and DSC the following:
- Deploy a “farm” consisting of 4 Web Servers and 1 SQL Server. This may require me to configure VMM Service Provisioning.
- Use VMM Templates (including possibly a service template) to do the initial building of the VM, naming it, and joining it to the domain.
- After that I want it to automatically configure its Local Configuration Manager for settings I have decided on
- This includes reaching out to a Pull server and getting the appropriate Configuration
- Applying that Configuration
- Breaking the servers, and them fixing themselves based off of their DSC Configuration
Too ambitious? Not ambitious enough? Any high level steps I missing?
All that being said, I am going to continue to post about anything relating to this process (even if it’s VMM specific) under the DSC Learning Journey on Twitter, as eventually it will all tie in together.